Borrowing and Renewing Materials
Eligibility for Library Privileges
- UMMS faculty, staff, and students, as well as UMMHC staff, are eligible for a library barcode that provides full borrowing access to our collections, including laptop borrowing. Apply for a library barcode.
- UMMS faculty, staff, and students may also use their library card barcode to remotely access on-line journals and databases. Several online journals are available only in the library because they require a password to be entered by library staff.
- Retired UMMS faculty are eligible for borrowing and proxy service access, excluding laptops.
- Healthcare professionals, physicians or other health care professionals licensed, accredited, or certified to perform specified health services consistent with State law, can purchase a library barcode for $50/year. This allows for book and audiovisual borrowing only.
- Corporate accounts are available to companies for $350/year. This allows for book and audiovisual borrowing only.
- Public patrons are eligible for a free library barcode that will allow two books from either the Pediatric Library collection or the Consumer Health collection to be borrowed at one time. These patrons will not be eligible for proxy service, laptop borrowing, or borrowing from the main collection.
If you are not sure which of these categories apply to you, please call the Library Service Point at 508-856-6099 for more information.
A library barcode entitles a patron to charge out (borrow) material as follows:
- Books from our main collection may circulate for three (3) weeks; the maximum check-out limit is 5 items.
- Audio Visual items may be charged out for one week; check-out limit is 5 items.
- Reserve items are for in-library use but may circulate for three hours; the charge out limit is 2.
- Journals: Although journals technically do not circulate, UMass staff, students, and faculty registered with the library may take journals out of the library for two hours if necessary. A journal form must be completed and is available at the Library Service Point.
- Laptops are available on a "first-come, first-served" basis and may be borrowed one at a time for up to one week. Laptops cannot be renewed and patrons must wait 24 hours after returning a laptop before requesting another.
- Medical Equipment is also available for borrowing by SOM students.
No more than 10 items total may be on a person's account at one time. All materials, with the exception of the reserve collection, may be renewed twice, provided the material is not overdue and not on hold for another patron. You can renew material yourself via your Library Patron Account on WorldCat Local. Overdue material may result in suspended borrowing privileges until the material has been returned.
The reserve collection is for in-library use. Feel free to browse the collection and take what you need to study. Please be mindful of your colleagues and only use the items for 3 hours at one time. You do not have to formally check out the books. Please place your returned items on the cart provided. If you need assistance, see library staff.
- The laptop models currently available for borrowing are Dell E6440, Dell E6410, and Dell E6400. Accessories include: DVD player, 3-hour battery, AC adaptor, internal wireless card, and carrying case. Each laptop has Microsoft® Office and is pre-configured to access the UMass Medical School's wireless network.
- If a laptop or any laptop accessory is lost or damaged, the patron is responsible for the replacement or repair cost.
My Library Record
Patrons may check their library records and renew items they have borrowed by going online to http://umassmed.worldcat.org. Click on the Sign in link next to Your library account at the top of the page. Enter your library barcode and password to log in. Your patron account will also provide information about materials loaned and due dates. If your personal information has changed, please contact the Library Service Point at 508-856-6099.
Renewing Library Items
Books can be renewed twice.
- Go to WorldCat Local, the Library Catalog.
- Click on the Sign in link next to Your library account at the top of the page.
- Enter your library barcode and password to log in. To change your password, follow these instructions. (Your library barcode is on the back of your ID card. If you do not know your barcode, call the Library Service Point at 508-856-6099. We will send it to your email address. For security purposes we will not give out barcodes over the telephone.)
- Scroll down the page to Checkouts.
- Click the Renew Items button located next to each item that you want to renew. The new due date will be calculated from the day you renew, not from the original due date.
- Books are renewed for three weeks, audio/visual items for one week. They may be renewed twice.
Other Options for Renewing
- By email.
- By telephone: 508-856-6099.
- In person.
Late Return Policy
If you return items late, you will be denied future borrowing privileges as follows:
- Must be returned by closing time on the due date.
- If returned late:
- 1st offense - warning
- 2nd offense - loss of laptop borrowing privileges.
- When items are 4 weeks overdue, library privileges will be suspended until material is returned.