The library has a total of fifty-seven workstations located on the first floor, including thirty-nine Dell computers and eighteen Apple computers.
The computers are for use by students, staff, faculty and the general public. Priority will be given to members of the medical school community. All computers require a login to use. Members of the medical school community should use their network account; members of the public should use the login details posted next to the workstation.
- Eight Clinical (UMMHC) Computers
- Two scanning stations
- One accessible workstation
The library has one computer classroom containing:
- One instructor workstation
- Seventeen student workstations
- Overhead projector
- Laptop connection
- White board
When the classroom is not in use for library instruction, the computers are available as public workstations.
Software on Public Workstations
All library workstations are equipped with Microsoft® Office Products, Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, and OneDrive. A list of additional library-supported applications is included below. All library computers are numbered. If there is not a specific computer listed please consult the key.Key:
- All numbers refer to workstation numbers
- Numbers beginning with 4 are located in the computer classroom
|Adobe Distiller X, Acrobat X Pro, Bridge, Photoshop, LiveCycle||114|
|CN3D Viewing Software||412, 417, 421|
|EndNote X9 (Macintosh)||124, 125, 126, 136, 138|
|EndNote (Windows)||115, 120, 212|
|EpiInfo||411, 416, 420|
|FRED (USMLE 1 practice test)||128, 129|
|GraphPad Prism||116, 138, 141, 210, 212|
|SAS||111, 113, 141, 210, 212|
|SPSS||111, 113, 141, 210, 212|
|Video Editor||113, 114, 117, 129, 141, 211, 212, 214|
|Voice Recorder||113, 116, 117, 120, 128, 141, 210, 212, 214|
|Zoom||110, 113, 116, 120, 124, 126, 128, 136, 141, 212|
Scanning Documents in the Library
The library has two scanning workstations available for public use:
- Epson Perfection 4990
- HP Scan Jet 8250
The scanning stations are equipped with the Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop 7.0. At these scanning stations, users can scan documents or create original images, as well as convert documents to PDF format. Disc-burning capability is also available at these stations. "How-to" documents are available for each type of scanner.
Photocopying and Printing in the Library
- Printing is free in the Library.
- Printing instructions
Wireless Access and Signal Strength
Wireless access is available through the UMMS, ummhc@umw, UMASSMED-GUEST, and eduroam wireless networks.
- To access the UMMS or ummhc@umw wireless networks, you must have a Medical School or Clinical (UMMHC) system network account. Through these networks, University students, faculty and staff will receive robust access to internal UMMS network resources.
- The UMASSMED-GUEST wireless network provides non-encrypted internet access for guests. The guest network is separate from the UMMS or UMW networks and firewalled to protect school resources. This network is intended for guests of the medical school only.
- Visitors from participating EDUROAM institutions may use the eduroam network by logging in with their respective institution’s credentials.
More information on the UMass Medical School's wireless network can be found at: http://www.umassmed.edu/it/how-do-i/get-started/wireless/
More information on Memorial's wireless networks can be found at: https://ournet1.umassmemorial.org/Administrative/Departments/Information Services/WiFi Access/Pages/Default.aspx
Due to the access point locations, book stacks, and thick library walls, signal strength is the strongest on the library's first floor. The signal is the weakest on the second and third floors along the outer walls. If you are experiencing problems with the wireless network, please report the problem to the library staff.
Please ask a library staff member at the desk if you would like to borrow a charger for your laptop or mobile phone.
The library has Apple 30-pin USB cables and chargers for iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad (larger, older type connector). We also have 8-pin lightning USB cables (smaller, newer type connector.)
In addition, we have a variety of chargers for mobile phones, Dell laptops, and other laptops. Due to the wide variation of connections on mobile phones and laptops, we cannot guarantee we have a charger for your specific device.