Interlibrary Loan & Pull and Copy
Borrowing through Interlibrary Loan (ILLiad)
If a journal article, book, or other material is unavailable at the Lamar Soutter Library, UMass Medical School (UMMS) faculty, staff, and students and UMass Memorial Health Care (UMMHC) staff can borrow it from other collections.
How to Place Requests
- Through our online databases you can use the "Check for Full Text" link to order journal articles not owned by the library. Simply click on the “Request this document via Interlibrary Loan” link which will fill-in the interlibrary loan request form.
- You can log into your ILLiad account and fill out an interlibrary loan request form.
- The first time you place an order, you will register as an ILLiad user. Your library barcode number will be your username. You will choose your own password. To avoid delays, be sure to include your payment information.
- If you forget your password, contact the Interlibrary Loan office at 508-856-2080.
Patrons can choose the delivery method:
- For articles: email
- For books: pick-up at the Library Service Point or interoffice mail
- UMMS students: Free!
- UMMS/UMMHC faculty and staff:
- Article or book loan: $14.00
- Surcharge for rush requests: $14.00
- UMMS faculty and staff: A Speed Type number or Account number is necessary for each transaction
- UMMHC staff: Please provide your department name (e.g., Memorial - ObGyn)
- Credit cards are not accepted
- The Library pays all copyright charges
Return books and other materials by the due date to the Circulation Desk. You are financially responsible for damage to, or loss of materials, from the time they are picked up until the time they are returned to the library.
Pull and Copy
To request an article in the library’s holdings, please log into your ILLiad account and fill out the article request form. Average turn-around time is 24 hours and delivery is via email.
Fee: $13.00 per article. No exceptions.
The Lamar Soutter Library (LSL) participates in the Loansome Doc Program of the National Library of Medicine, which allows users to order full-text copies of biomedical articles found in the PubMed database.
As a participating library, the Lamar Soutter Library provides articles from its journal collection to registered health care professionals who are not affiliated with a medical library.
Health care providers only. To qualify, the health care professional must either provide services to patients or work for a governmental public health agency. All health care professionals who choose us as their library supplier must register with LSL and provide proof of status, including a copy of certification or license. The Lamar Soutter Library does not provide Loansome Doc services to corporations.
Steps for Registration:
- Register with UMass Medical School's Library as a Licensed Health Care Provider
- Complete the NLM Loansome registration process through PubMed. UMass Medical Code is MAUMAS.
- After completion of the library's and NLM Loansome Doc's registration forms, patron may place orders through PubMed.
Complete instructions for registration and ordering are at Loansome Doc.
We provide email delivery of articles. Average turn-around-time is 24 hours if material is held in-house.
- The fee for an article is $15.00 plus copyright fee with a minimum charge of $40.00. Invoices over the minimum will incur a 13% overhead fee on the total.
- The surcharge for material held at other institutions is $5.00.
- Billing is monthly, by invoice.
- Patrons are responsible for stipulating the maximum amount they are willing to pay for each article ordered.
The Lamar Soutter Library shares its articles and books with hospital, academic, and public libraries throughout the United States.
Submission of ILL Requests
- Submit requests via Docline, OCLC, or RAPID
- OCLC Code: WQM
- Docline Code: MAUMAS
- We provide electronic delivery via email and Odyssey.
- Average turn-around-time is 24 hours.