Lamar Soutter Library Renovation Project
For many years, the Lamar Soutter Library has been moving from a primarily print book and journal collection to primarily an electronic collection. This has come about as technology continues to alter how health information is accessed and used. Amidst these changes, the Library continues to be used as a gathering place for study, course work, exam preparation, and collaboration for students and as a tool in meeting the instructional needs of faculty, researchers, and clinicians. The Library serves the diverse needs of more than 800 visitors each day.
Outreach to the UMMS Community
- Letter from Dr. Anne Larkin, Senior Associate Dean, Office of Educational Affairs on the Library Collections and Refresh Project (June 27, 2019)
- Letter from Dr. Anne Larkin on the Library Renovation Project and Study Carrels (August 12, 2019)
- Letter from Dr. Anne Larkin on Noise Disruptions during the Library Renovation Project (September 6, 2019)
- Second letter from Dr. Anne Larkin on Noise Disruptions during the Library Renovation Project (September 17, 2019)
- Letter from Dr. Anne Larkin on Alternative Study Areas (September 26, 2019)
- Library Refresh Update: Books on the main floor will be moved to the 2nd floor on Wednesday, October 9, 2019 from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Noise levels will be monitored.
Over the last several years, the Library has continued to modify its holdings, keeping up with the most recent and relevant information. Because of the increase in the number of students we serve and the growing needs of UMMS and its clinical partner UMMHC, the Library continues to evolve in order to meet the future education, research, and space needs of its users. Beginning in September 2019, the library will be shifting the book and journal collections in order to provide additional study spaces and refreshed painted walls, carpeting and existing study areas. With your support through this transition, the Library will emerge as a modern, refreshed space central to campus information needs.
We will continue to keep you updated on the progress throughout the semester via email, this web page, Twitter, and signage. If you have any questions or concerns please reach out to Mary Piorun, Lamar Soutter Library Director, by email or at 508-856-2206.