Library Renovation Projects
Check here for information and updates.
Skylight Replacement Project (June-August 2021)
Starting July 2021, the three skylights situated above the main seating section of the Library (curved couch, large tables, and outside the computer classroom) will be replaced. Scaffolding and safety barriers will be installed in July, and work is expected to continue into mid-August. All three skylights will be removed and reinstalled with a new energy efficient skylight system.
Due to the nature of this construction, there will be significant noise at times in the Library. There will be reduced seating on the first floor, some study carrels will not be accessible, and the round staircases leading to the second and third floor will not be available for use. Accommodations will be made at alternate locations on campus to provide quiet study spaces. Daily work will begin early and is expected to be completed by mid-afternoon. Daily construction information and noise levels will be posted at the Library’s entrance. As the start date nears and work progresses, important information will be communicated through the Library website, on LSL NOW, and by Twitter announcements.
- Noise schedule for the week of November 1, 2021 (PDF)
- Noise schedule with quiet alternatives for studying for the week of August 30, 2021 (PDF)
- Noise schedule with quiet alternatives for studying for the week of August 16, 2021 (PDF)
- Noise schedule with quiet alternatives for studying for the week of August 9, 2021 (PDF)
- Noise schedule with quiet alternatives for studying for the week of August 2, 2021 (PDF)
- Noise schedule with quiet alternatives for studying for the week of July 26, 2021 (PDF)
- Noise schedule with quiet alternatives for studying for the week of July 19, 2021 (PDF)
- Noise schedule with quiet alternatives for studying for the week of July 12, 2021 (PDF)
- Please be aware that on either early Friday morning, July 9 or early Saturday morning, July 10 there will be heavy roof noise for approximately 2 hours.
- Noise schedule with quiet alternatives for studying for the week of June 28, 2021 (PDF)
- June 22, 2021, revised June 24, 2021: Construction of scaffolding for the skylight replacement project is scheduled to begin on
Monday, June 28Wednesday, June 30. Noise levels in the Library during this time will be very high, although the work will be performed during off-hours as much as possible. There will also be a noise meter and signs placed near the Library entrance.
If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out by email to Mary Piorun, Lamar Soutter Library Director or by phone at 508-856-2206.
2nd and 3rd Floor Renovation (July 2019-August 2020)
For many years, the Lamar Soutter Library has been moving from a primarily print book and journal collection to primarily an electronic collection. This has come about as technology continues to alter how health information is accessed and used. Amidst these changes, the Library continues to be used as a gathering place for study, course work, exam preparation, and collaboration for students and as a tool in meeting the instructional needs of faculty, researchers, and clinicians. The Library serves the diverse needs of more than 800 visitors each day.
Outreach to the UMMS Community
- Letter from Dr. Anne Larkin, Senior Associate Dean, Office of Educational Affairs on the Library Collections and Refresh Project (June 27, 2019)
- Letter from Dr. Anne Larkin on the Library Renovation Project and Study Carrels (August 12, 2019)
- Letter from Dr. Anne Larkin on Noise Disruptions during the Library Renovation Project (September 6, 2019)
- Second letter from Dr. Anne Larkin on Noise Disruptions during the Library Renovation Project (September 17, 2019)
- Letter from Dr. Anne Larkin on Alternative Study Areas (September 26, 2019)
- Books on the main floor will be moved to the 2nd floor on Wednesday, October 9, 2019 from 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Noise levels will be monitored.
- Electrical work including drilling will take place from December 12, 2019 to January 3, 2020. More information. To help students escape the electrical work/drilling noise, the following rooms have been set aside on these dates:
- December 21, 2019: 5:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. in Amps 2 & 3 and Lazare and Hiatt
- December 23-24 & 26-27, 2019: 5:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. in Amps 2 & 3
- January 14-15, 2020: 1st and 2nd floor areas where electrical work occurred will be patched and painted by Facilities.
Over the last several years, the Library has continued to modify its holdings, keeping up with the most recent and relevant information. Because of the increase in the number of students we serve and the growing needs of UMMS and its clinical partner UMMHC, the Library continues to evolve in order to meet the future education, research, and space needs of its users. Beginning in September 2019, the library will be shifting the book and journal collections in order to provide additional study spaces and refreshed painted walls, carpeting and existing study areas. With your support through this transition, the Library will emerge as a modern, refreshed space central to campus information needs.
We will continue to keep you updated on the progress throughout the semester via email, this web page, Twitter, and signage. If you have any questions or concerns please reach out to Mary Piorun, Lamar Soutter Library Director, by email or at 508-856-2206.