Guidelines for 24/7 Library Access
24/7 Library Access Policy and Procedures
- The Library is accessible 24/7 to UMMS students, residents, fellows and faculty with their UMMS ID cards.
- Exceptions for all other UMMS/UMMHC staff will be made on a case-by-case basis. Exceptions will be valid for six months and can be renewed if appropriate. To apply for an exception, please have your department head complete this form on your behalf.
24/7 Library Access Guidelines
- The Library's doors will close at 8:45 p.m. Sunday-Thursday and at 5:45 p.m. Friday and Saturday. These hours may change on School holidays.
- When the doors close, Library staff will walk through the Library and ask to see a UMMS or UMMHC ID. Only UMMS and UMMHC employees will be allowed to stay. It is your responsibility to have your UMMS or UMMHC ID with you.
- Only those who have been given 24/7 Library access will be able to re-enter the Library once the doors have closed. UMMS students, residents, fellows and faculty automatically have this access. All other UMMS/UMMHC staff must request this access by completing this form.
- If there is an emergency in the library call 911 immediately! The Campus Police will respond.
- There will be a sign at the Library Service Point with phone numbers for Police and Operations.
- Panic button pendants will be available at the Library Service Point for those who may be studying on the second and third floors. These alarms will notify the police station that someone in the Library needs help. If you are working in a group, please take one pendant for the group. Please return the pendant when you leave the Library.
- A police officer will walk through the Library several times throughout the night.
- For security reasons, please do not use the second and third floor restrooms after Library staff leave for the night.
- For security reasons, PLEASE do not let anyone into the library you do not know. If they have a UMMS/UMMHC badge and it doesn’t work at the door, just direct them to Campus Police and the police will determine if they have permission to use the library after hours.
- Please do not take materials out of the Library if staff are not there to check out the material.
- Laptops will not be available when the Library is not staffed.
- Food and drink are allowed in all areas of the library except the computer lab on the first floor. Please be sure your drinks have a cover when working at a computer, and please clean up before you leave.
- On exam nights, coffee will be available. Library staff will leave out supplies.
- If you have any concerns or if your UMMS/UMMHC ID does not work at the front door, please contact Vivian Okyere, 508-856-2080 during normal library hours.
Date reviewed: 3/26/19