Mercy ships operates a fleet of hospital ships that provide health services and perform free surgeries where needed medical care is otherwise inaccessible. The organization offers training and mentoring to local professionals, provides medical tools and resources to communities, and partners with local agencies to strengthen healthcare resources as well as agriculture and nutrition initiatives.
- Currently, The Africa Mercy vessel is docked in Cameroon August 2017-June 2018
Types of Opportunities
- Maxillofacial surgery, plastic reconstructive surgery, orthopedic surgery, women's health related surgeries, general surgery, eye care, oral health, and mental health, and palliative care
- Volunteer positions exist for both short term (2-4 weeks) and long term (months-years)
- Volunteers must pay for all flights, transportation to and from the ship's location, as well as crew fees and personal expenses
- No requirements, but some conversational French is helpful