Study Carrel Reservation Policy
Beginning August 13, 2020
Library Study Carrels: Recognizing the need for QUIET STUDY areas, the Lamar Soutter Library has set aside all study carrels on the 2nd and 3rd floors for student use. There will not be a carrel lottery at this time. Instead the carrels will be made available through a self-service room reservation system.
All SOM, GSN, and GSBS students are eligible to reserve a carrel.
- Carrels can be reserved up to 5 days in advance.
- Single carrels can be reserved for up to 6 hours at a time.
- Reservations may be made for up to 40 hours per week.
- Be mindful of the needs of your peers. Reserve only the hours that you need. If you do not need your remaining hours, you can cancel the reservation.
- Keys will not be distributed.
- There is a limit of one person per carrel to maintain social distancing. No socializing in or around the carrels.
- Masks must always be worn.
- You are responsible to clean the carrel before and after use. Cleaning supplies will be provided at stations on each floor.
- You are responsible for keeping the carrel free of trash. Please do your part by removing your trash at the end of your reservation.
- Eating is not allowed in the carrels or in the library.
- Beverages in spill-proof containers are allowed.
- Do not leave laptop computers or other valuable items unattended in the library or carrels.
- We will erase any profanity or inappropriate content on the whiteboards. Please be respectful of your peers.
At the end of your reservation, remove all belongings from the carrel. Anything left will be collected and thrown away. The library is not responsible for lost items or items left in the carrels. *
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How do I reserve a carrel?
A. Reserve a carrel.
Q. Who can request a carrel?
A. All SOM, GSN, and GSBS students are eligible to reserve a carrel.
Q. When can I reserve a carrel?
A. A carrel can be reserved at any time (24/7).
Q. How long can I reserve a single carrel?
A. You can reserve a carrel for up to six (6) hours per day. Reservations may be made for up to 40 hours per week.
Q. May I make a reservation after the library is closed?
A. Yes, reservations can be made 24/7.
Q. Do I have to pay to use the carrels?
A. No, carrels are available free of charge to all SOM, GSN, and GSBS students.
Q. May I use the carrel drawers to store my belongings?
A. No. Keys will not be issued this semester due to CDC COVID-19 guidelines.
Q. May I cancel my carrel reservation before the time is up?
A. Yes, you can cancel your reservation at any time.
Q. May I extend my carrel reservation past the end of the time reserved?
A. No, a new reservation must be made. The reservation is limited to six (6) hours.
Q. Will anyone else have access to my reserved carrel?
A. Only the person holding the reservation should be in the carrel. All carrels should be reserved.
Q. May I use a carrel after hours if I do not have a reservation?
A. No, you need to reserve a carrel. Reservations can be made 24/7.
Q. May I eat and drink in my carrel?
A. Eating is not allowed; beverages in spill-proof containers are permitted.
Q. May I hang a curtain over the door or block visual access into the carrel in any way for increased privacy?
A. No, carrels must always remain open and free of barriers.
Q. May I use a candle in the carrel?
A. No candles are allowed in the carrels. This is a fire hazard.
Questions, comments, or concerns? Contact Vivian Okyere, Library Operations Manager at 508-856-2080.
* The Library assumes no responsibility for items that are damaged in or stolen from the carrels. Do not leave laptop computers or other valuable items unattended in the library or carrels. Thefts have occurred in the past.