The Lamar Soutter Library’s (LSL) staff is excited to welcome you to the campus of UMass Medical School. LSL is looking forward to assisting you with your coursework, research, and general information needs.
Library Renovation Project: July 2021 – August 2021
If you have been on campus and have visited the Library, you might have noticed a “little construction” going on. The Skylight Replacement Project started in July and is scheduled to be completed the end of August. All three of the 50-year-old skylights will be removed and reinstalled with a new energy efficient skylight system. Also, new energy-efficient overhead lighting in the skylight area will be installed. For daily construction progress information, noise levels, and alternate quiet study campus study locations please see https://library.umassmed.edu/about/library-renovation#skylights
The Library is under the aegis of UMass Medical School and also serves its clinical partner UMass Memorial Health Care (UMMHC). The Library follows the school’s COVID-19 policies and procedures: masks must always be worn, along with 6-ft. social distancing, and only beverages in spill-proof containers are allowed in the library. Cleaning and hand sanitizing stations are provided throughout the Library.
Selected Library Services
Here are just some of the Library's great services to help you throughout the year. (For the library’s full list of services see https://library.umassmed.edu/services)
- Reserve a Study Carrel: Reservations for a study carrel can be made through the online, self-service reservation system. See the complete Library Study Carrel Reservation Policy for guidelines and frequently asked questions.
- Checkout a Locker: The library has lockers available on the 2nd and 3rd floors for UMMS/GSN/GSBS students to store educational materials. The lockers circulate for one semester at a time and are distributed by checking out a key at the Library Service Point at the start of each semester.
- Library Barcode: The barcode provides full borrowing access to our collections, including laptop borrowing, and interlibrary loan/document delivery privileges. If you haven’t received your barcode, use the barcode application form to request one or come to the Library Service Point for assistance.
- Laptop Lending: Having issues with your personal laptop? You can check out a library laptop until your laptop is fixed.
- Portable Chargers: Omnicharge portable power banks can charge any device. Each one has a wall outlet, USB 3.0 and USB-C ports, a DC port, and even wireless charging. Available for a one-day loan at the Library Service Point.
- Group Study Rooms: At this time due to COVID restrictions, these spaces can only accommodate 1 person at a time and masks are required.
Off-Campus Access: The Library has implemented EZproxy single sign-on (SSO) method. Users with a umassmed.edu email address are no longer required to use their Library-issued barcode number to log in. Instead they should use their umassmed.edu email credentials to authenticate. EZproxy users without a umassmed.edu email address will continue to use their barcode number and password to log in.
- Questions? Use the Library’s ‘Ask a Librarian’ service