Roatan Volunteer Pediatric Clinic is a joint project with the Public Hospital Roatan providing quality medical care to children of the Bay Islands of Honduras. There are volunteer opportunities for medical students, third-year pediatric residents, and attendings. Spanish language proficiency is a requirement.
Types of Opportunities
- Rotation for third-year pediatric residents and attendings (4 weeks minimum)
- Short term positions for pediatric specialists, neonatologists, obstetricians/gynecologists, and anesthesiologists
- Student internships lasting 4 weeks during the summer: Interns serve as clinic coordinators, running triage, patient case management, and management of patient database. They do not provide direct medical care. Interns will communicate with Spanish-speaking patients and must be comfortable conversing in Spanish, and must know some medical Spanish vocabulary before the start of the trip.
- Medical student elective rotations lasting 1-3 months, which can count as a third or fourth year elective rotation through school
- All opportunities are an unpaid, volunteer positions. Global Healing provides housing and medical evacuation insurance to all physician volunteers. The volunteer is responsible for transportation costs, food and incidental expenses while on-site.
- Estimated cost for a month-long internship: $1500-$2000. Cost breakdown: flight ($500-$800), housing ($500-$600), health coverage ($100-300), food, and transportation.
- Conversational to fluent in Spanish