Government Documents Task Force (2002-2003)
Bobbie Brooke (Chair), Barbara Ingrassia (Champion), Gael Evans, Robert Vander Hart, Barbara Winrich
During the Spring, the LSL was required to submit a report on its Government Documents operations. The report was prepared and submitted by Bobbie Brooke and received favorable review. At the same time, some issues were noted by the inspector, especially the high selection rate compared to the staffing level. This prompted several questions by the Management Team to Bobbie about our role as a Depository Library. A Task Force is appointed to study the issues raised by the Management Team and government inspector. The Task Force should address the following questions:
- Ways the LSL could reduce its selection rate and the pros and cons of doing so.
- Discussion with Clark University and the Worcester Public Library (WPL) about the maps agreement - could WPL do it instead?
- Discussions with other libraries as to why they stay a depository and with libraries that have withdrawn their status and why they did so.
- Explain the pros and cons for the LSL remaining a Depository Library; look at collection usage, marketing existing collection, etc.
- Identify major trends with respect to the future of depository libraries.
The Task Force may identify other questions to investigate. Findings should be included in a written report to the Management Team within six months.