Federated Searching Team (2007)
Lisa Palmer (Chair), Mary Piorun (Champion), Dorothy Barr, Donna Berryman, Sally Gore
Part 1: Answer the following questions in a written report to the Management Team
- Is federated searching valuable for medical libraries? Why or why not?
- Which of the AAHSL libraries are using a federated searching tool?
- Do library users and staff like/use the federated searching tool?
- Which federated searching tools are medical libraries using? This is not limited to commercial products.
After reviewing the Part 1 report, the Management Team will decide if the team will proceed to Part 2.
Part 2: Compile a final report ranking products for the Management Group
- Identify products available for federated searching
- Investigate the various components and capabilities of each product
- Conduct up to three on-site demonstrations or other product evaluations, as necessary
- Collect feedback and evaluate the demonstrations
The work of this team is investigative. Any products or services the Library purchases are subject to the University's purchasing guidelines and often require writing a request for proposal (RFP) from vendors which is beyond the scope of this team.