Access From Off-Campus (Proxy)The Lamar Soutter Library offers a proxy service for off-campus users of library online journals and databases. This service is available to current UMMS faculty, staff and students. Current clinical staff who also have a UMMS faculty appointment are eligible. Preceptors for UMMS students must apply for faculty status in order to be eligible for proxy access. Preceptors should contact Dr. Robert Baldor (774-442-1509) at the Office of Medical Education to expedite the process. If a faculty member is working with non-UMMS students on a rotation, those students are eligible for proxy access for the length of their rotation. If you are eligible, you must register at the Library Service Point in order to utilize the proxy service.
- Do I have to configure my browser software in any way to use the proxy service?
- Do I have to log in to the proxy service every time I want to access resources?
- How do I register for the proxy service?
- How do I use the proxy service once I've registered?
- What do I do if I encounter problems with the proxy service?
Do I have to configure my browser software in any way to use the proxy service?
Do I have to log in to the proxy service every time I want to access resources?
How do I register for the proxy service?
If you are not a registered library user (or you are not certain) bring your identification badge to the Library Service Point and complete a registration form. You will be given a small barcode sticker on the back of your badge. You can then activate your library account yourself in minutes. Just follow these simple steps:
- Click on WorldCat Local from the library’s home page.
- Click on Sign In next to Your library account in the upper right.
- Click on Forgot Password.
- Enter your library barcode number (use an upper case D) in the User Name box.
- Click on Request Password.
- You will receive an email with a link. Follow this link to the page where you will input your new password.
- Enter your barcode number once again and choose, then confirm, a password of your choice (password must contain at least one number).
- Click Change Password. The process is now complete.
Your new password will allow you to access your library account immediately (to renew books or to determine what books you have checked out. If you want more details, the following tutorial (http://onlinetraining.umassmed.edu/proxy11/) will guide you through the steps. If you need additional assistance, please contact the staff at the Library Service Point at 508-856-6099.
How do I use the proxy service once I've registered?
From any off-campus location:
- Go to the library's web site at http://library.umassmed.edu
- If you select a resource that is restricted to on-campus use, the proxy sign-on screen will appear.
- Type your library barcode number, without spaces, from the back of your identification badge in the first box.
- Type your password in the second box.
- Click the Log In button.
You will then return to the resource you selected. Remember: on campus, you will not have to go through the login process.
What do I do if I encounter problems with the proxy service?
Contact the staff at the Library Service Point at 508-856-6099.