Family Medicine Timeline at UMass Medical School
- The Massachusetts Legislature votes to build a state medical school.
- UMass Medical School opens its doors.
- Family Health Center is founded as part of the Model Cities Program.
- UMMS Family Medicine Residency program is founded.
- Barre Family Health Center opens.
- Family Health and Social Service Center (FHSSC) opens on Main Street.
- First residency class begins, based at City Hospital.
- Hahnemann Family Health Center residency opens at 39 Dean Street.
- Family Medicine Residents and City Hospital Housestaff organize to improve health care in the community, threaten to strike.
- University Hospital is completed and fully open.
- Fitchburg Family Medicine Residency is founded.
- Current Barre Health Center site (Route 122) opens.
- Worcester City Hospital (WCH) closes; Family Health opens a satellite Health Center on the former WCH site on Queen Street.
- All FHSSC and Worcester City Hospital services are consolidated at the remodeled Queen Street site during a $4.8 million renovation of the facility.
- Barre Health Center expansion completed.
- Dean Street Family Health Center closes; residency moves to Hahnemann campus.
- FHSSC changes its name to Family Health Center-Worcester.
- Fitchburg residency joins with Community Health Connections/Family Health Center.
- Residency 30th Reunion, June 23-25, 2006.
- Barre Family Health Center opens new facility.