Planning a Data Management Curriculum and Requirements for a Collaborative Repository
Institute of Museum and Library Service National Leadership Planning Grant
From August 2010 through December 2011, the Lamar Soutter Library at the University of Massachusetts Medical School and the George C. Gordon Library at Worcester Polytechnic Institute collaborated on an Institute of Museum and Library Service (IMLS)National Leadership Planning grant and developed an instructional framework and delivery system for openly accessible, online instructional modules on preserving, managing, and sharing digital data. When implemented, these modules can be delivered to students in science courses at each institution, ranging from first-year science and engineering students, to graduate-level medical, nursing, and biomedical students. The two libraries have also conducted research on user requirements for data repositories for student generated data and have conducted usability testing with three open source repository software systems.
The project’s primary goal has been to teach essential data management skills early in the training of both science and medical researchers. Lamar Soutter Library Director, Elaine Martin served as PI for the project. Martin and Tracey Leger-Hornby, director of the Gordon Library at WPI, were co-chairs for the project steering committee. Lamar Soutter librarians Donna Kafel and Mary Piorun and WPI's Director of Research Computing, Sia Najafi, served on the project Steering Committee. Kafel also served as Project Coordinator. For more information contact: Donna Kafel.
- Elaine Martin, D.A., MSLS, Director of Library Services, Lamar Soutter Library, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Co-Chair
- Tracey Leger-Hornby, Ph.D., MLS, Dean of Library Services, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Co-chair
- Elaine Martin, D.A., MSLS, Co-Chair
- Tracey Leger-Hornby, PhD, Co-chair
- Sia Najafi, MS, Director of Research Computing, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- Mary Piorun, MSLS, MBA, Associate Director, Lamar Soutter Library, University of Massachusetts Medical School
- Donna Kafel, MLIS, Project coordinator, University of Massachusetts Medical School
- Curriculum Design: Paul Colombo, MS
- Evaluation Expert: Nancy LaPelle, Ph.D.
- Instructional Design: Heather McMorrow, MA
Education Committee Members
|UMass Medical School||WPI|
|Patricia Franklin, MD, MBA, MPH||Christine Drew, MLS|
|Donna Kafel, MLS||Glenn Gaudette, Ph.D.|
|David Lapointe, Ph.D.||Laura Hanlan, MLIS|
|Myrna Morales, MAT, MSLIS||Erica Stults, MS, Ph.D. candidate|
|Lisa Palmer, MSLS||John Sullivan, D.E.|
|All project deliverables are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial Share Alike 3.0 License|
- Frameworks for Data Management Curriculum
- Evaluating User Requirements for Data Repository Software
- Matrix of User Requirements for Repository Software
Paper, Posters and Presentations
- Teaching Research Data Management: An Undergraduate/Graduate Curriculum – This paper is featured in the first issue of the Journal of eScience Librarianship.
- Teaching Data Management to Health Science, Science & Engineering Students – Presented at educational program, "What's Happening Really: Digital Research Support, and other Hot Topics", Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries annual meeting, Denver, CO, Nov. 5, 2011.
- Teaching Research Data Management: An Undergraduate/Graduate Curriculum – Poster presented at University of Massachusetts and New England Area Librarian e-Science Symposium April 6, 2011 and at the Medical Library Association conference on May 17, 2011.
- Teaching Research Data Management – Presented at the workshop "Digital Citizenship: Where Academic Research and the Personal Meet," Northeast Regional Computing Program (NERCOMP), Norwood, MA, April 14, 2011.
This project is made possible by a grant from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services and with funds from the National Library of Medicine under Contract No. N01-LM-6-3508.
Last updated: 09/14/2012 14:57:40