To obtain journal articles, books, and other materials not owned by the library.
UMMS faculty, staff, and students and UMMHC staff.
How to Place Requests
- In many of our online databases, including PubMed, you can use the "Check for Full Text" service to order journal articles not owned by the library. The service will fill-in the interlibrary loan order form directly from your search, saving you valuable time.
- You can go directly to the interlibrary loan order form to place your order. The first time you place an order, you will register as an ILLiad user. Your library barcode number will be your username. You will choose your own password. To avoid delays, be sure to include your payment information. If you forget your password, contact the Interlibrary Loan office at 508-856-2080.
Patrons can choose the delivery method:
- For articles: email, pick-up at Circulation desk, or interoffice mail
- For books: pick-up at Circulation desk or interoffice mail
- No charge for UMMS students.
- The fee for an article or a book loan is $12.00.
- The surcharge for rush requests is $11.00.
- Credit cards are not accepted.
- For faculty and staff a Speed Type number or Account number is necessary for each transaction.
- Memorial users should provide department name rather than account number (e.g., Memorial - ObGyn).
- The Library pays all copyright charges.
Return books and other materials by the due date to the Circulation Desk. You are financially responsible for damage to, or loss of materials, from the time they are picked up until the time they are returned to the library.
For all questions regarding Interlibrary Borrowing, call 1-508-856-2080 or email Vivian.Okyere@umassmed.edu.Top of page
Pull and Copy
To serve you better, we have integrated the Pull and Copy service into Interlibrary Loan (ILL). One form will handle both types of requests. Please use the ILLiad form to order your Pull and Copy request(s).
We provide electronic delivery via email. Average turn-around-time is 24 hours.
- The service cost for Pull and Copy is $11.00 per article. No exceptions.
To provide articles and books to other libraries. The Lamar Soutter Library shares its resources with hospital, academic, and public libraries throughout the world.
Submission of ILL Requests
- Submit requests via Docline or OCLC
- OCLC Code: WQM
- Docline Code: MAUMAS
We provide electronic delivery via email and Ariel. Average turn-around-time is 24 hours.
- The fee for an article or a book loan is $11.00.
- The surcharge for rush requests or faxes is $11.00.
- We participate in IFM and EFTS.
- Libraries who do not participate in IFM or EFTS will be invoiced monthly.
For all questions regarding Interlibrary Lending, call 1-508-856-2469 or email Vivian.Okyere@umassmed.edu.Top of page
The Lamar Soutter Library (LSL) participates in the Loansome Doc Program of the National Library of Medicine, which allows users to order full-text copies of biomedical articles found in the PubMed database.
As a participating library, the Lamar Soutter Library provides articles from its journal collection to registered health care professionals who are not affiliated with a medical library.
To qualify, the health care professional must either provide services to patients or work for governmental public health agencies. All health care professionals who choose us as their library supplier must register with LSL and provide proof of status, including a copy of certification or license.
The Lamar Soutter Library does not provide Loansome Doc services to corporations.
Steps for Registration:
- Patron must register with UMass Medical School's Library as a Licensed Health Care Provider.
- Patron must also complete the NLM Loansome registration process through PubMed. UMass Medical Code is MAUMAS.
- After completion of the library's and NLM Loansome Doc's registration forms, patron may place orders through PubMed.
Complete instructions for registration and ordering are at Loansome Doc.
We provide email delivery of articles. Average turn-around-time is 24 hours if material is held in-house.
- The fee for an article is $11.00 plus copyright fee with a minimum charge of $35.00.
- The surcharge for material held at other institutions is $5.00.
- Billing is monthly, by invoice.
- Patrons are responsible for stipulating the maximum amount they are willing to pay for each article ordered.
For all questions regarding Loansome Doc, call 1-508-856-2469 or email Vivian.Okyere@umassmed.edu.Top of page
University of Massachusetts Medical School Library is dedicated to offering you access to the widest possible range of resources. Through WorldCat Local (link)you are now able to search our collection and the collections of many other libraries worldwide. Most importantly, WorldCat Local will allow you to order books from the Boston Library Consortium Libraries (BLC) or from Interlibrary Loan (ILL) through one seamless interface.
The WorldCat Local website lets you:
- Search many libraries at once for an item
- Find books, music, and videos that you can pick up at your library
Your search results will be displayed in this order:
- Materials available at Lamar Soutter Library (LSL) - no cost
- Materials from the Boston Library Consortium - no cost
- Materials available worldwide through Interlibrary Loan - ILL fee applies ($12); no charge for UMMS students.
UMMS/UMMHC faculty, staff, and students who are registered users of the library
How to Place Requests
When you identify a book in WorldCat Local, click on the request button. Remember to check availability. If the book is not available through BLC, your request will seamlessly forward to Interlibrary Loan. Please note, that an ILL request will be charged at $12 per request.
When your material is available for pick-up at the Library Service Point, you will receive an email.
There are no fees associated with loans from the Boston Library Consortium Libraries. However, there is a $12 charge for any book borrowed from any other library through Interlibrary Loan; however there is no charge for UMMS students.
Return books and other materials by the due date to the Library Service Point. You are financially responsible for damage to, or loss of materials, from the time they are picked up until the time they are returned to the library.
For all questions regarding WorldCat Local, call 1-508-856-2080 or email Vivian.Okyere@umassmed.edu.Top of page