Guidelines for 24/7 Library Access
Guidelines for 24/7 Library Access (June 2015)
- The Library is accessible 24/7 to UMMS students, residents, and faculty with their UMMS ID cards. Exceptions for other UMMS/UMMHC staff (for example, fellows or UMMS/UMMHC staff working towards medically related degrees from other institutions) will be made on a case-by-case basis. Exceptions will be valid for six months and can be renewed if appropriate. To apply for an exception, please complete this form and return it to the Library.
- The Library's doors will close at 8:45 p.m. Sunday-Thursday and at 5:45 p.m. Friday and Saturday. After that time, only UMMS students, residents, and faculty will be allowed access to the Library via the card swipe at the front door. You will need your UMMS ID to enter the Library or to remain in the Library after the doors close.
- When the doors close, Library staff will walk through the Library and ask to see UMMS IDs. Only UMMS students, residents, and faculty will be allowed to stay. It is your responsibility to have your UMMS ID with you.
- In fairness to your fellow students, please do not keep Reserve books for more than the usual three-hour allotted checkout time. Return the books to the truck in front of the Reserve collection.
- There will be a sign at the Library Service Point with phone numbers for Police and Operations.
- For security reasons, please do not use the second and third floor restrooms after Library staff leave for the night.
- Panic button pendants will be available at the Library Service Point for those who may be studying on the second and third floors. These alarms will notify the police station that someone in the Library needs help. If you are working in a group, please take one pendant for the group. Please return the pendant when you leave the Library.
- A police officer will walk through the Library several times throughout the night.
- Please do not take materials out of the Library if staff are not there to check out the material.
- Laptops and Kindles will not be available when the Library is not staffed.
- Food and drinks are allowed in the Library, but please clean up before you leave.
- On exam nights, coffee will be available. Staff will leave out supplies.
- If you have any concerns or if your UMMS ID does not work at the front door, please contact Mary Piorun, 508-856-2206, or Vivian Okyere, 508-856-2080.